2023-2024 Volunteer Applications are now available.
Please Note the following before applying:
*Background checks MUST be dated on or after July 1, 2023 to be considered.
*We will ONLY accept current background checks from the Colorado Bureau of Investigation. Please visit https://www.cbirecordscheck.com/ to request your copy for $4.00.
*All background checks are reviewed by administration and the contents of your background check may disqualify you from volunteering.
*Please note that we DO NOT accept background checks from the City of Grand Junction Police Department and/or from the Mesa County Sheriff's Office. Volunteer applications with these background checks attached, will automatically be denied.
Please see the instructions below for additional information.
We are happy that you have chosen to volunteer at Caprock Academy. Thank you for taking the time to invest in our community! Your efforts grow our most precious commodity, the students. If you are a parent, guardian or family member your help is applied to your yearly volunteer hours. Regardless of your status as a parent or a member of our community, your generosity not only sets a positive example for our students, but also alleviates our immediate budget constraints and provides evidence for future grant dollars.
Parent Volunteer HoursStudents are more likely to embrace their responsibility to perform community service when they observe their parents supporting the school’s mission and vision by actively volunteering at Caprock Academy. Parents of Caprock Academy students are strongly encouraged to participate in projects throughout the school year that meet our needs and fit within their schedules. Parents will serve:
- 40 hours of volunteer time for the first enrolled student/per year
- 20 hours per year for the second student
- 10 hours per year for a third student, with a cap of 80 hours per family/per year
- Parents of High School students serve 10 hours per student/per year
- Single parents serve 15 hours per student/per year
Please see the section "How to Submit Parent/Guardian Volunteer Service Hours" below for information on how to log your volunteer hours.
Confidentiality & Conflict of Interest
The success of our volunteer program depends very much on our ability to keep confidences and remain impartial. Maintaining confidences and avoiding conflicts of interest are required of all who volunteer at Caprock Academy. While not all volunteering involves activities of a confidential nature, matters of confidentiality and potential conflicts of interest can arise at any time when a volunteer may be present. Therefore volunteers are expected to maintain confidentiality at all times. Any discussions regarding confidential information will be only in settings where such confidences can be maintained and not jeopardized.
- Volunteers WILL NOT discuss the names or any other information regarding students, teachers, staff or other volunteers with anyone other than the volunteer's specific supervisor.
- Volunteers are expected to provide the school with a yearly background check dated on or after July 1st of the current year.
- Volunteers are expected to schedule their volunteer time using signup genius and will only be permitted to stay for their scheduled time.
- There should be no discussion of the volunteer’s student in the classroom. If you would like to discuss your student with their teacher, an appointment must be scheduled for a later date.
- If working with students directly, you are expected to assist any and all students, not just your own child.
- All persons involved in volunteering are required to inform the classroom teacher and/or office of potential conflicts.
- Volunteers are expected to dress in casual attire with a strong concern for modesty.
- Volunteers are expected to not use their cell phone while volunteering. If an emergency situation arises that you must use your phone we ask that you please step out of the building to do so.
- Volunteers are expected to make child care arrangements for younger children prior to volunteering on campus. Younger children/siblings are not allowed in the classroom while volunteering.
Volunteer Application Process
If you plan on volunteering this year, we ask that you please get your background check and that you complete our new Volunteer Application as soon as possible.
- STEP ONE: Visit www.cbirecordscheck.com to request your background check. Once you receive your results, save them to your computer. (You will need it later)
- STEP TWO: Complete our Volunteer Application. You will be asked to attach your background check during this process. Click the VOLUNTEER APPLICATION button below to apply.
- STEP THREE: Wait for volunteer approval email from the school. Once you receive it, you will be provided with information on how to set up your Volunteer Portal Account.
- STEP FOUR: Setup your Volunteer Portal Account. Once this has been completed, you will be able to sign up for a variety of volunteer opportunities.
- QUESTIONS? Please call the office at 970-243-1771.
For additional information on volunteering, please contact:
970-243-1771 ext. 1128
Looking to volunteer in the classroom?
Please contact your child's teacher via email to schedule time to volunteer in their classroom. Teacher and Educational Assistant's email addresses can be found on our Staff Directory.
How to Submit Parent/Guardian Volunteer Service Hours
Volunteer Service hours must be recorded in the Facts Family Portal. Please follow the steps below.
- Login to your FACTS Family Portal account with your ID & Password
- Click on Family
- Select the Parent /Guardian Name from the drop-down box
- Click on the Add + button in the Service Hours box
- Enter the date, hours completed, the description and a note if necessary
- Double check the information and click Save
*If you complete volunteer service hours during the summer break, you will need to date them for the first day of the new school year or they will be recorded for the previous year. Please note that once you add your hours, you are not able to edit or delete them*
Visitor & Volunteer Policies