High School College & Career Advising
At Caprock Academy, we are committed to helping our students and their parents with college planning. Our curriculum meets/exceeds college admission requirements, so that our students can pursue attending the college of their choice that best fits their goals and prepare to for life beyond high school.
While we realize that not every student will go to college, we offer each student the guidance and resources to pursue a post high school education. Caprock Academy encourages all students to research programs they are interested in, and then to locate colleges that offer those programs that is the right fit for them.
- FAFSA Application Night - Monday, December 1, 2023 from 6:00-7:00 PM
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), it is something that all families are strongly encouraged to complete, especially if your child is planning (or even thinking about) going to any type of college or trade school. The application is primarily used by colleges and universities to evaluate and verify financial need. However, it is also required by many grants, scholarships, loans, and even work-study programs. Regardless of whether you think your family will be offered federal aid funds, it is still in your child’s best interest to fill out the form.
A few changes to note (and more to come!):
- FAFSA will not be open until the end of December, possibly the beginning of January. If you have completed it before, you probably remember the former opening date of October 1. This is no longer the case, so please do not begin the form yet as it will not be the correct version. I will send out an announcement as soon as the date is released, or you can check the website at https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa.
- The new form will be shorter and easier to complete.
- Eligibility for aid will be adjusted.
- The “EFC” or “Expected Family Contribution” will change to the “SAI” or “Student Aid Index”. The EFC was the estimated amount that the family was supposed to be able to pay toward college tuition. The SAI will be calculated in a completely different way and will better benefit students and families.
- There will be a change in who is required to report income if the family is split, and custody is shared. More details to come, but the intention is to help more students and families.
- The way the form is completed will also be different. Students will begin the form themselves and invite parents (contributors) to fill in their parts.
- Boettcher Foundation
- Daniels Fund Scholarship Program
- QuestBridge National College Match
- Guaranteed Scholarships
- Going Merry
- Denver Scholarship Foundation
- College Express
- Sallie Mae
- Nerd Wallet
- Unigo Scholarships
- Scholarship America
- Tuition Funding Sources
Important Information and Websites
- Common Application Schools
- Best College SAT Prep
- Kaplan Test Prep
- Khan Academy SAT Prep
- AP - Advanced Placement
- AP Credit Policy Search
- Colleges Requiring/Recommending SAT with Essay
- College Tour Questions
- Financial Aid for College FAFSA
- Sign Up for Individual College Visits
- Yearly Planning Guide
Caprock Academy College & Career Advisor
Please contact Heather VanSchaick with any questions that you may have regarding college and career advising via email at [email protected] or by phone at 970-243-1771 ext. 1264.